News
AGNSW Employees Rally Against Job Losses Amid Funding Crisis

On August 27, more than 100 personnel of the Art Gallery of New South Wales (AGNSW) and supporters staged a midday protest outside the Sydney institution, aiming to bring public attention to looming job cuts caused by decreased NSW government funding. Marking the first industrial action at the gallery in more than a decade, the demonstration came ahead of a parliamentary estimate hearing the following day, which assessed the state government’s decision to curtail its financial support for AGNSW.
The budget crisis stems from a AUD 5.8 million (USD 3.8 million) slash in state government funding over 2024–26. Last year, the NSW Treasury directed the AGNSW to scrap 29 staff positions, but only five employees were made redundant.
On August 12, the recently appointed director Maud Page announced that 51 of the gallery’s 382 employees would be laid off to save AUD 7.5 million (USD 4.9 million) in annual operating costs. “After five months at the helm, it’s become apparent that a reduction in staff roles is necessary to secure a sustainable future for the institution we all care deeply about,” Page told the Sydney Morning Herald. “It’s certainly not how I had hoped to begin my directorship, but I’m comforted that we are doing this from a position of strength with the highest visitation in our history.”
Speaking with the Australian Financial Review, Tony Wright, assistant general secretary of the Public Service Association (PSA), said that workforce reduction would “literally decimate the [AGNSW].” He added that “[i]f you enjoy the gallery, then you need to know that the amount of exhibitions and their quality is in the firing line.”
According to PSA officer Anne Kenneally, managerial roles in training and development, diversity and inclusion, and risk and safety are earmarked for the cuts. The NSW government has defended its decision, citing a state Treasury review from last year which noted that AGNSW’s revenue growth had failed to keep pace with operating costs since the 2022 opening of its Naala Badu building—a project that amounted to AUD 344 million (USD 225 million). The review also found that the gallery employs more people than similar institutions interstate.
The protesting AGNSW staff also questioned the allocation of an additional AUD 10 million (USD 6.5 million) to the 2025–26 budget of Sydney’s Powerhouse, despite the latter institution remaining largely closed to the public.
An AGNSW spokesperson announced that the gallery has extended its consultation period concerning the cutbacks by two weeks. In a statement, Page admitted that “[t]his is a profoundly challenging time for the gallery, especially for our dedicated colleagues who are impacted by the proposed structure.”
Sanle Yan is an editorial intern at ArtAsiaPacific.